GEWI® Piles for one of the World’s largest Mines in the South Pacific Region

The Koniambo Nickel project in New Caledonia in the South Pacific region is a large scale project in which nickel is being mined using the open pit method and directly processed in a smelter on site. With an estimated reserve of approx. 80-100 Mio. t of high quality nickel, the deposit is one of the world’s largest nickel deposits.

The approx. US$3.85 billion development is being managed by the Koniambo Nickel SAS joint venture. The Société Minière du Sud Pacifique, a company acting on behalf of the regional government of New Caledonia, holds 51% of the mine’s shares and Xstrata Nickel, the world’s fourth largest copper producer, holds the remaining 49%.

The Engineering, Procurement and Construction project Management services (EPCM) contract was awarded to a joint venture between Hatch and Technip. A total of 7 million m³ of earth was excavated and 75,000m³ of reinforced concrete were used for the project. Construction work also included a new nickel smelter with an annual production capacity of 60,000t of ferrous nickel alloy.

DSI Australia worked closely with the General Contractor during the preliminary design of the pre-stressed permanent anchors and micropiles for the metallurgical plant and the power station. Thanks to the excellent co-operation between the parties, the products needed could be delivered quickly from Australia. Additional products were supplied from DSI’s competence centers in Dagneux, France and Koenigsbrunn, Germany.

In total, DSI Australia supplied 100 11.8m long ∅ 63.5mm GEWI®® Micropiles and over 1,040 Permanent Double Corrosion Protected (DCP) ∅ 63.5mm GEWI®® Anchors.

Owner

Tinguirica Energia, a joint venture consisting of Pacific Hydro, Australia and SN Power, Norway

General Contractor

Joint venture Hochtief- Tecsa, consisting of Hochtief AG and Tecsa SA, both Chile

Contractor

Geocontrol, S.A., Chile


DSI Unit

DSI Chile Industrial Ltda., Chile

DSI Scope

Supply of approx. 350.000m R32 IBO Self-drilling Anchors, 25,000m ∅ 1.2m ventilation ducts, 11 injection pumps, approx. 500m of AT-114 Pipe Umbrellas and approx. 1.500m of AT-89 Pipe Umbrellas

Back More Projects
DYWIDAG-Systems International Pty. Ltd. APAC/ASEAN

use our contact form
send us an e-mail
or call us:
+61-2 49 48 90 99